No Waste Tastes Great – 17 December 2010

Friday is the day I take part in Food Waste Friday over at The Frugal Girl

I try to be one organised lady when it comes to the kitchen and food, and Food Waste Friday helps me be even more organised!

Each Friday I try to allocate 1-2 hours after the school run to do the following:

Step 1 – Clean out Fridge and Cupboard

1. Firstly I clean the counter tops
  2. Secondly I grab a dry marker and my ceramic notepad (less clutter and waste) – which will already have some foodstuffs, that I have identified throughout the week that need replenishing, noted on it
  3. Then I empty the contents of the fridge and my perishables cupboard onto the counter
  4. Next I clean my fridge with bicarbonate of soda, and wipe out my cupboard with a damp cloth and a little washing up liquid (not too much)
  5. Once the fridge is ready to go I do an inventory of my foodstuffs.  My aim each week is to purchase for the week and not to carry over perishable items. Fruit and Veg deteriorate if not frozen, so I do try to use up within 7 days maximum.   I also only have a small fridge and do not like food clutter, so I purchase just what is needed and very rarely bulk buy. There is an argument that this isn’t very frugal but I find it reduces waste for my family.

Step 2 – Fridge/Perishables Inventory

• Firstly I identify all items that can go back in the fridge – this week I do not have any foodstuffs to carry over – but if I did I would note these on my ceramic pad so as not to repurchase and to ensure I include a meal that uses them up ASAP
  • Secondly I make a note of any items that need replenishing– these are the ‘add in/on’ ingredients that I frequently use – so this week its orange juice and milk (but I had already noted these on my ceramic notepad during the week)
  • Finally I leave on the counter what needs using up (if anything)

Step 3 – Get creative or check out the takeaway menu!

So do I have anything this week to contribute to  Food Waste Friday and what am I going to do about it?? Or do the Hubby and I get a takeaway? (Do not fret I always have something I can rustle up for the Kids from my store-cupboard ingredients)

No takeaway for us tonight! As sitting on my counter are:

9 x Eggs (Best Before Date 17th – must be used today!)

Broccoli

4 x Yoghurts

6 x Onions

2 x Apples

2 x Carrots

6 Slices of Bread

As I never plan a meal in advance for Friday, this means I can put my culinary thinking chef’s hat on and use up everything I have.  Tonight I will make Omlettes and steamed Broccoli with Yoghurt for dessert (so back in the fridge until later).  The apples will get eaten when the Children get back after school/nursery.  The Onions will get chopped and frozen, and the bread kept until tomorrow when I will make a Bailey’s Bread and Butter Pudding.

Finally the 2 Carrots will be put back in the Fridge and I will cross my fingers that they will last until each of my Children leave a carrot for Rudolph on Christmas Eve!

No Waste Tastes Great

🙂

Step 4 – Meal planning and placing my grocery order

Friday is also the day I plan the meals for the coming week and place my on-line grocery order. I have my groceries delivered on a Saturday morning (I pre-book my delivery slot in advance). My Simple Meal Plan 6 will be posted tomorrow (including my plans for My Simple Christmas Dinner to feed 10 adults and 4 Children).

How’s your fridge looking this week?  Anything to use up guys?

• thesuburbanminimalist December 17, 2010, 10:32 am

Well, thanks to you we are slowly but surely using up everything in creative ways! My family is so pleased! As a side note, I want to leap through the computer and grab that Bailey’s Bread and Butter Pudding! Jo, you’re killin’ me!

• simplybeingmum December 17, 2010, 10:37 am

I promise that should we ever dine together I’ll make you one! Guaranteed! I’m popping on over to http://www.thesuburbanfamilytable.com to join in in a few mins – Have a lovely day – It’s snowing here again – looks like we are set for the UK’s 2nd White Christmas in a row – superb!

• thesuburbanminimalist December 17, 2010, 10:32 am

Thank you and thanks for stopping by, and indeed commenting – Jo

• yussuf a December 17, 2010, 10:45 am

Great post , thanks for sharing ! Good luck

• simplybeingmum December 17, 2010, 11:03 am

Thank you and thanks for stopping by, and indeed commenting – Jo

• Renee @ FeedingOurLives.com December 17, 2010, 5:41 pm

Wow! I’m impressed at how organized you are! My refrigerator would LOVE to be cleaned and wiped down with such regularity! Great job on using all your food!

• Renee @ FeedingOurLives.com December 17, 2010, 5:41 pm

• Renee @ FeedingOurLives.com December 17, 2010, 5:41 pm

• simplybeingmum December 17, 2010, 6:00 pm

Hi Renee – This is definitely one of those circumstances where the lack of storage is key. My Fridge door measures 23″ across, and 28″ in height (with 4 shelves just 16″ deep) – it’s the same size as a UK kitchen cupboard. The freezer is the same but just 3 drawers. Because I buy for just 7 days I can fit everything in, it also means to clear it and clean it is a simple job. The freezer holds very little apart from veggies, bread, ice-cream/cubes and a couple of batch made meals for emergencies.
    Will be heading on over to your site later tonight to take a peek! Thanks so much for the comment – Jo

• simplybeingmum December 17, 2010, 6:00 pm