Friday is the day I take part in Food Waste Friday over at The Frugal Girl
I try to be one organised lady when it comes to the kitchen and food, and Food Waste Friday helps me be even more organised!
Each Friday I try to allocate 1-2 hours after the school run to do the following:
Step 1 – Clean out Fridge and Cupboard
- Firstly I clean the counter tops
- Secondly I grab a dry marker and my ceramic notepad (less clutter and waste) – which will already have some foodstuffs, that I have identified throughout the week that need replenishing, noted on it
- Then I empty the contents of the fridge and my perishables cupboard onto the counter
- Next I clean my fridge with bicarbonate of soda, and wipe out my cupboard with a damp cloth and a little washing up liquid (not too much)
- Once the fridge is ready to go I do an inventory of my foodstuffs. My aim each week is to purchase for the week and not to carry over perishable items. Fruit and Veg deteriorate if not frozen, so I do try to use up within 7 days maximum. I also only have a small fridge and do not like food clutter, so I purchase just what is needed and very rarely bulk buy. There is an argument that this isn’t very frugal but I find it reduces waste for my family.
Step 2 – Fridge/Perishables Inventory
- Firstly I identify all items that can go back in the fridge – this week I do not have any foodstuffs to carry over – but if I did I would note these on my ceramic pad so as not to repurchase and to ensure I include a meal that uses them up ASAP
- Secondly I make a note of any items that need replenishing– these are the ‘add in/on’ ingredients that I frequently use – so this week its orange juice and milk (but I had already noted these on my ceramic notepad during the week)
- Finally I leave on the counter what needs using up (if anything)
Step 3 – Get creative or check out the takeaway menu!
So do I have anything this week to contribute to Food Waste Friday and what am I going to do about it?? Or do the Hubby and I get a takeaway? (Do not fret I always have something I can rustle up for the Kids from my store-cupboard ingredients)
No takeaway for us tonight! As sitting on my counter are:
9 x Eggs (Best Before Date 17th – must be used today!)
4 x Yoghurts
6 x Onions
2 x Apples
2 x Carrots
6 Slices of Bread
As I never plan a meal in advance for Friday, this means I can put my culinary thinking chef’s hat on and use up everything I have. Tonight I will make Omlettes and steamed Broccoli with Yoghurt for dessert (so back in the fridge until later). The apples will get eaten when the Children get back after school/nursery. The Onions will get chopped and frozen, and the bread kept until tomorrow when I will make a Bailey’s Bread and Butter Pudding.
Finally the 2 Carrots will be put back in the Fridge and I will cross my fingers that they will last until each of my Children leave a carrot for Rudolph on Christmas Eve!
No Waste Tastes Great
Step 4 – Meal planning and placing my grocery order
Friday is also the day I plan the meals for the coming week and place my on-line grocery order. I have my groceries delivered on a Saturday morning (I pre-book my delivery slot in advance). My Simple Meal Plan 6 will be posted tomorrow (including my plans for My Simple Christmas Dinner to feed 10 adults and 4 Children).
How’s your fridge looking this week? Anything to use up guys?