Save A Banana Day / Chocolate ‘Top’ Banana

The Guardian recently launched their Live Better Campaign.

(You may see a certain someone you know being featured over there soon – If you haven’t signed up yet click here.)

As part of the Live Better Campaign today is:

Save A Banana Day

Now that sounds like a worthwhile cause to me. Particularly as according to figures from WRAP, 1.4mn bananas are thrown away every day?

Don’t forgetΒ #nowastetastesgreat πŸ˜‰

Rather than rustling up a recipe to save a deteriorating banana I thought I’d take a proactive approach.

What if you buy too many bananas? Realising you may not eat all the bananas you popped in your shopping basket, what preventative action can you take to make the save?

Introducing…Chocolate ‘Top’ Banana

Take one ripe banana

IMG_4390

And 2 large dessert spoonfuls of chocolate/hazelnut spread (think Nutella and similar)

IMG_4394

Peel and chop the banana into 3

IMG_4395

(not forgetting to toss the peel into your food-recycling or compost bin)

Pop each banana chunk onto a lolly or cake pop stick

IMG_4396

Smear the chocolate spread on top

IMG_4399

Roll the chocolate topped banana lolly in sprinkles of your choice

IMG_4401

Place in a freezer safe dish and freeze for at least an hour

Voila! A healthy(ish) ready-to-eat-treat

IMG_4411

How would you save a banana?

If you do #saveabanana today – join in via socialΒ media using the hastag #saveabanana

• lipsyy March 26, 2014, 9:16 am

The kid in me loves that banana idea! Would be great in summer instead of buying icecreams! πŸ™‚

• simplybeingmum March 26, 2014, 9:18 am

Yeah – they look like ‘Fab’ ice lollies.

Thought of you the other day. Found something that might interest you. Will e-mail it!

• lipsyy March 26, 2014, 9:16 am

• simplybeingmum March 26, 2014, 9:18 am

Yeah – they look like ‘Fab’ ice lollies.

• Live and Learn March 26, 2014, 12:03 pm

I have made these with melted chocolate, but I like the Nutella idea much better.

• simplybeingmum March 26, 2014, 12:05 pm

Easier? I suppose. And theoretically healthier? Maybe? Not sure how the nutritional values compare!

• Live and Learn March 26, 2014, 12:03 pm

• simplybeingmum March 26, 2014, 12:05 pm

• Jo H. March 26, 2014, 2:05 pm

I used to make these with chocolate but then started just freezing them without. They are really creamy – much like a banana fudgsicle (which we could buy for a short time in my youth, but sadly was discontinued) – a wonderful snack in the hot weather. Your version looks more appealing, though!

• Jo H. March 26, 2014, 2:05 pm

• Clare March 27, 2014, 1:03 am

Yum!!! We never have leftover bananas though…I swear my family are part monkey πŸ™‚ Might have to buy extra to make these! πŸ™‚

• Clare March 27, 2014, 1:03 am

• WilliamB April 4, 2014, 11:28 pm

I suspect that more bananas are thrown out in stores (getting old, no one buying them) than in homes. So I try to save a banana by buying the older bananas at the store. A few weeks ago I bought a dozen or more, just to be sure I had enough to freezer for smoothies and banana bread (bananas get eaten really quickly in my house). My virtue was rewarded when the casier decided the old, spotty bananas really *should* be marked down and reduced the price by 2/3rds.

• WilliamB April 4, 2014, 11:28 pm