No Waste Tastes Great / Friday Night Is Curry Night

It’s Friday Guys – time for No Waste Tastes Great

Click here to learn more about my Friday routine

Simply Being Mum’s Friday Fridge

IMG_2834

Top Shelf – Spreads, fats, garlic, cheese and a chocolate mousse

Top Middle Shelf – Cucumber, grapes and cooked cauliflower

Bottom Middle Shelf – Buttercream

Bottom Shelf – Bacon

Door – Milk and an egg

The top shelf holds items that all still have plenty of shelf-life left in them yet.

The cucumber and grapes will meet their fate tomorrow. We are having a birthday tea for Daddy. A very enthusiastic 7-year-old helper has it all planned.

IMG_2836

I have no idea where she gets it from? 😉

There’s buttercream left over from the birthday-cake baking fest I held last week. I produced 3 celebration cakes for friends. The cream was left over from the last one made.

IMG_2832

But as it’s the Hubby’s birthday, I have a feeling it may get used up.

**For those who’d like to give it a try – this is how to make a simple birthday cake**

I have cooked cauliflower left over. It’s headed for a cauliflower cheese that I will freeze for consumption over the next week or so.

Tonight’s dinner will consist of bacon and egg for First-born. Second-born, the Hubby and I will be partaking in a slow-cooked vegetable curry. As I do my Aldi grocery shop Friday morning, if the fridge is bare I now scoop up some ingredients for a curry. My 4-year-old son is a curry-monster!

We no longer have a Friday night take-away. I would like to proclaim this saves us about £15. In fact one reason I’ve ditched the Friday night takeout is that we now have fish and chips on a Monday night, after swimming lessons, at a cost of about £10. The kids love it and it’s become a bit of a tradition.

Looking good on the no-waste front? Hmm, yes, apart from this;

IMG_2835

The question is to eat or not to eat?

They are off-cuts of puff-pastry, now a week old. I can’t decide whether to make cheese puffs?

How’s your Fridge looking this Friday? Anything to declare? Or is it nice and bare? Please share…

No Waste Tastes Great is bought to you (as always) with thanks to The Frugal Girl for the original inspiration.

FoodWasteFriday

• sarah@everydaylifeonashoestring February 1, 2013, 10:34 am

All looks good. Love the up the garden path cake! You know what I’d say about the pastry offcuts – go for it!!

• simplybeingmum February 1, 2013, 6:08 pm

What a great name for it ‘up the garden path’ thanks – I’ll use that!
      And the off cuts, yeah I reckon they’ll be used…

• sarah@everydaylifeonashoestring February 1, 2013, 10:34 am

• simplybeingmum February 1, 2013, 6:08 pm

What a great name for it ‘up the garden path’ thanks – I’ll use that!
      And the off cuts, yeah I reckon they’ll be used…

• Live and Learn-Toss and Turn February 1, 2013, 12:44 pm

Your daughter’s printing is very good. She deserved her pen award.
    As always, the cake looks great.

• Live and Learn-Toss and Turn February 1, 2013, 12:44 pm

Your daughter’s printing is very good. She deserved her pen award.
    As always, the cake looks great.

• Lili@creativesavv February 1, 2013, 2:37 pm

Your vegetable curry recipe looks interesting. I’m thinking about putting lentil curry on our menu for next week, but we’re out of frozen tomatoes. I’ve never had a curry without tomatoes. What do you think, curry sans the tomatoes? And I’d love to have the “problem” of leftover puff paste. Lids for bowls of stew?

• simplybeingmum February 1, 2013, 6:11 pm

I’m trying to think if I’ve had curry without tomatoes…and I think I have. Would imagine it was when I did a coconut milk, chickpea, sweet potato version. I’d have just added the curry paste to the milk. But cannot say exactly. Try it and see, what harm can it do? 😉
      I’m sold on using the pastry – again what harm can it do? It’s been refrigerated, probably may suffer a little in taste, but convinced it will be safe to eat!

• Lili@creativesavv February 1, 2013, 6:27 pm

Okay, I’ll be brave and give curry with no tomatoes a try. The tomatoes add a nice acid hint, so I may add a bit more lemon juice to the pot.

• Lili@creativesavv February 1, 2013, 2:37 pm