No Waste Tastes Great / Holey Cake Batman!

It’s Friday Guys – time for No Waste Tastes Great.

Every Friday morning I follow my simple No Waste Tastes Great routine

Not this morning.

To cut a long-story short I ended up visiting A&E (ER) yesterday. It was all something about nothing. I’m fine. But it taught me a lesson. It also inspired a blog post which I’ll share soon.

My unplanned hospital visit, however, resulted in this;

IMG_3617

Not a good look for a special little boy’s birthday cake?

This is better;

IMG_3614

And this is even better;

IMG_3616

(although not quite finished – I’ve the windows in Gotham city, round the base, to add next)

Hence the Batman cake which should have been completed last night is still being decorated, because, you guessed it, I had to bake and cool another madeira cake!

What would Robin say? “Holey Cake Batman?”…

((want to make your own (one without a hole?) – click here))

As a firm believer in No Waste Tastes Great the cake will get eaten here at Chez Wright over the week. It’ll spruce up fine with jam and buttercream, or warm with custard. It’ll taste just fine. And it’ll mean it doesn’t go to waste.

(My friday fridge will appear on Facebook later today, unless I inadvertently end up in casualty)…

How’s your Fridge looking this Friday? Anything to declare? Or is it nice and bare? Please share…and don’t forget to drop a link in the comments if you’ve blogged about it!

No Waste Tastes Great is bought to you (as always) with thanks to The Frugal Girl for the original inspiration.

FoodWasteFriday

• anexactinglife September 13, 2013, 4:37 pm

I`m curious what happened with the first cake, if it stuck to the pan, or got nibbled, or…?

• simplybeingmum September 13, 2013, 7:51 pm

Didn’t bake in the centre. Taken out too soon I’m afraid!

• anexactinglife September 13, 2013, 4:37 pm

• simplybeingmum September 13, 2013, 7:51 pm

Didn’t bake in the centre. Taken out too soon I’m afraid!

• Jo H. September 13, 2013, 7:15 pm

Hah! I can’t imagine cake EVER going to waste here, as we only have it on birthdays – so any other cake would be devoured!!

Glad you’re okay. Emergencies do eat up time, don’t they? It’s a relief to get back to the mundane.

• simplybeingmum September 13, 2013, 7:53 pm

Lesson learnt – whenever I leave anything till the last minute something happens. Very silly on my part. I should have baked the cake on Wednesday! Great to hear from you Jo …

• Jo H. September 13, 2013, 7:15 pm

• simplybeingmum September 13, 2013, 7:53 pm

• Live and Learn-Toss and Turn September 13, 2013, 10:37 pm

Sorry about your trip to the ER, but you get to enjoy a cake because of it. I’m sure your family is happy about that.

• Live and Learn-Toss and Turn September 13, 2013, 10:37 pm

• Amanda @ Gluten Free Detroit Metro September 14, 2013, 4:10 am

I hope you are feeling better. My first thought to salvage the bad cake was cake pops. Jam and cake sound good too.

• Amanda @ Gluten Free Detroit Metro September 14, 2013, 4:10 am

• mydearbakes September 14, 2013, 10:13 am

Splendid! What a marvelous looking bake! =D

• mydearbakes September 14, 2013, 10:13 am

Splendid! What a marvelous looking bake! =D

• sarah@everydaylifeonashoestring September 14, 2013, 10:26 am

Glad to hear you’re OK and were soon back re-baking cakes!

• sarah@everydaylifeonashoestring September 14, 2013, 10:26 am

Glad to hear you’re OK and were soon back re-baking cakes!

• Lyle @ The Joy of Simple September 14, 2013, 6:37 pm

Hey SBM. I just wanted to pop in and say that your cake looks fabulous 🙂 I am a big Batman fan and even at the young age of 52 I still get all happy when I see a Batman related anything…so your cake brought a big smile to my face and I’m sure it will do, or already has, to your little guy as well.

Take care and thanks again. All the best.

Lyle

• Lyle @ The Joy of Simple September 14, 2013, 6:37 pm

Take care and thanks again. All the best.

Lyle