The Food Waste Friday Link Up Is Back!

The Food Waste Friday link up is back! Yay!

It’s Friday guys – Food Waste Friday.

(I’ve completed my Friday routine and a Fridge photo is over on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)

In my hand I have blueberries.

Blueberries

Berries, in my experience, are one of those foods that may be fine to eat in the morning, yet can be inedible by the afternoon. I have to remember to freeze them if not using within a day or 2 of being purchased – because when even just one grows mould, it doesn’t take long to turn into an epidemic. I may be a fan of reducing food waste, but I’m also a massive advocate of food safety and hygiene.

It’s all above the food waste save for me. My Friday routine helps me minimise the food I waste, but of course there are items that may need using up. Meal planning without a doubt helps to keep the majority of food waste at bay, but there’s usually some food or ingredient threatening to go to waste. Time to get creative and think outside of the recipe.

Last week I was inspired to make an impromptu bread pudding, which was so simple and went down a storm.

Chocolate Bread Pudding
Coincidentally it also coincided (see what I did there?) with Love Food Hate Waste running their Loafsaver campaign (not sponsored guys). I even made a video of my experimental recipe over on Facebook.

So this week when I found some berries and 3 brioche buns – bread pudding once again sprang to mind. The berries do need using up today, and I could make a smoothie for lunch, but as the brioche is starting to get a little dry – bread pudding seems the perfect solution to make a food waste save.

No Waste Tastes Great | Blueberry and Brioche Bread Pudding

Butter a baking dish and pour golden syrup on the brioche buns:

Food Waste Friday Link Up

Lay the split buns out:

Optimized-IMG_6063

Add the blended blueberries:

Optimized-IMG_6064

Pour over custard:

Optimized-IMG_6065

Bake for 15-20 minutes in a moderate to hot oven:

Blueberry and brioche bread pudding

Serve warm with cream or leave to cool and cut into slices. Enjoy.

Don’t forget the Food Waste Friday link up is back!

…and it will be here every Friday, come rain or shine. I’m thinking there may not be a lot of link ups this week, or even for a few weeks to come, but going forward this will be the place to be so we can all talk about how we are reducing food waste, and share our recipes.

If you are out and about on social media please do hashtag #FoodWasteFriday. Every Friday I look out for those who are also participating and retweet, share etc…

As always, a grateful thank you to Kristen aka The Frugal Girl and original founder of Food Waste Friday.

Don’t forget to link up! Any food waste related post from any day of the week is fine with me…

• Cate March 11, 2016, 1:24 pm

Looks delish as always! I love blueberries too so will be trying this recipe out x

• SimplyBeingMum March 11, 2016, 2:37 pm

So simple to make Cate!

• Noreen March 11, 2016, 1:36 pm

Love the bread pudding idea – might give that a go this weekend.

• SimplyBeingMum March 11, 2016, 2:37 pm

Sounds good!

• Karin in Canada March 11, 2016, 6:27 pm

Kristen (The Frugal Girl) had a great recipe (back in 2013?) for treating berries with vinegar water, which works extremely well. I haven’t had to throw out any berries since then!

Here it is, verbatim:
    It is truly astounding how much longer berries keep after a vinegar rinse. Even things like raspberries and blackberries stay firm and fresh for days upon days.

And they don’t taste a thing like vinegar, either.

To do this, mix up 3 cups of water and a cup of vinegar (fortunately, vinegar is dirt cheap, so this is an inexpensive fruit wash.).

Give the berries a quick soak.

Drain the berries and place them in a salad spinner lined with a tea towel (the original directions said to use a paper towel, which is compostable, but hey, I like to avoid waste when I can!).

Give them a spin…

And place them back into their original container (or, if you were lucky enough to buy berries without a package, you can put them into a GladWare or another reusable storage container. I wouldn’t seal them, though, as berries do best if they can breathe.).
    Unquote

• SimplyBeingMum March 12, 2016, 3:58 pm

Thanks Karin – I now remember reading that post – you’ve jogged my memory. Okay so I have strawbs in the fridge – purchased yesterday I will give it a go and report back…. maybe next Food Waste Friday! Thank you again 🙂

• Kelly March 11, 2016, 8:18 pm

Looks and sounds great! Now what to do with all the grapes I have. Not exactly bread pudding indgredient. If I ran them through my dehydrator they would : ).
    Any ideas?

• SimplyBeingMum March 12, 2016, 4:00 pm

Kelly – grapes are my Achilles heel ref FWF – honestly, I have had more waste from grapes than any other fruit. What I have done previously is freeze them and then used as ice cubes in drinks – then as they have thawed in the liquid, eaten them. It’d not ideal but the oly thing I have come up with so far!

• Julie C March 18, 2016, 7:45 pm

Frozen grapes are a yummy snack!

• Kelly March 14, 2016, 12:27 pm

Thanks, I never would have thought of that! Did a little research, jelly seemed viable but SO much white sugar called for. I actually might try dehydrating them.

• SimplyBeingMum March 14, 2016, 1:14 pm

Hmmm yes Jam (Jelly) now there’s an idea.