No Waste Tastes Great / Once In A Blue Moon

It’s Friday Guys – Time for No Waste Tastes Great

Click here to find out more about my Friday routine

Simply Being Mum’s Friday Fridge

Top Shelf – Spreads, cheese, yoghurts and the return of the buttercream!

Middle Shelf – 1 onion, 4 nectarines, a punnet of red grapes, 1/2 a courgette and 1/2 a cucumber

Door – 5 eggs and milk

Top shelf is all in date so no potential waste – hurrah! There has been a return of buttercream due to me knocking up this little number this morning;

I have another to make next week, so that’ll use up the remaining buttercream.

That just leaves fruit and veggies. The grapes and nectarines will be eaten over the weekend.

The onion I’ll chop and freeze.

My plans to make Chocolate Zucchini Bread fell flat this week, but maybe (?) due to the fact the courgette is homegrown it’s lasted really well. I’ll make some nom-nom bread (my nickname for it – thanks Frugal Girl) tomorrow.

I’m hoping when I cut into the cuke it’ll be edible and we’ll have it for lunch tomorrow, but the jury’s out until the incision is made. Again as it was homegrown (maybe?) it has fared well, so far. We’ll see what tomorrow brings. It may end up a food waste confession for next Friday!

There is a food waste confession this Friday also.

8 strawberries and a 1/4 bag of salad. Salad gets me every time (as does cuke!).

Omelette for dinner, for the Hubby and I, at Chez Wright as there are 5 eggs sitting awaiting their fate. They’re in date and could easily be popped in some baking I have planned. However we had a once in a blue moon night out, last night, and visited the local Balti restaurant followed by participating in the pub quiz at the local village pub. So no takeaway for us tonight. Kiddy tea for the children, there are some fish fingers and veggies in the freezer.

Talking about blue moons, I believe there’s one tonight for real! Watch out for any little blue guys in white hats singing a strange song

Strange things can happen when there’s a blue moon… look what was left on my counter after I lifted my weighing scales this morning! Do you reckon it’s a sign?

How’s your Fridge looking this Friday? Anything to declare? Or is it nice and bare? Please share…

No Waste Tastes Great is bought to you (as always) with thanks to The Frugal Girl for the original inspiration.

FoodWasteFriday

Don’t forget I update most days on Facebook.

Why not head on over and join the conversation?

• Live and Learn-Toss and Turn August 31, 2012, 1:34 pm

Wow, that’s some cake. Was that for 50 years of marriage?

• Live and Learn-Toss and Turn August 31, 2012, 1:34 pm

Wow, that’s some cake. Was that for 50 years of marriage?

• anexactinglife August 31, 2012, 2:11 pm

Stunning cake!!

• anexactinglife August 31, 2012, 2:11 pm

Stunning cake!!

• Lauren August 31, 2012, 3:42 pm

Great job on the cake Jo, it looks amazing!

My fridge is empty. Seriously, apart from a few condiments (all in date) I think there’s two or three onions kicking around the crisper. Yes, I keep them in the fridge. Mainly because I have more fridge than pantry space. But I guess I could chop and freeze those. 😉

• simplybeingmum August 31, 2012, 5:39 pm

I tend to keep onion in the fridge also…they don’t seem to smell in the fridge as they do in a cupboard (and I reckon they last longer). Now I’ve got my food processor I’m way ahead on my chopping most weeks, this lone onion got missed somehow. He’s still fresh but I’m taking no chances. Glad you braved the post 😉

• Lauren August 31, 2012, 3:42 pm

Great job on the cake Jo, it looks amazing!

• simplybeingmum August 31, 2012, 5:39 pm

• Jo H. September 1, 2012, 4:45 am

That cake is gorgeous – love the colours and how you’ve arranged the feathers, ribbon and the glass – so unique and classy-looking. Lucky lady on the receiving end!

I’ve been having fruit waste lately. Hubby has been home more, and I buy fruit expecting he will remember to eat it but he doesn’t. I just have to adjust my expectations, I think 🙂

• simplybeingmum September 2, 2012, 9:11 am

Thanks Jo.H! Fruit can be a problem, I have periods of it going to waste here – see Strawberries this week!

• Jo H. September 1, 2012, 4:45 am