Simple Slow-Cooked Cauliflower Cheese Soup Recipe

This is probably the simplest soup on the planet.

I’ve decided to post the recipe due to popular demand. Well, 2 readers asked for it after Friday’s post. But my readers are very special, so to me that’s popular demand!

A final edited version of this recipe will appear in my e-book. When the book will be finished, I’m sorry but, the jury is still out on that. I am hopeless. But I will e-mail out to everyone who requested a free copy as soon as it is.

Simple Slow-Cooked Cauliflower Cheese Soup Recipe

Serves 4-6

You will need:

Standard Slow-Cooker (Crock-Pot) Internal capacity 3.5 litres (approx. 6 pints)

One head of Cauliflower – all of the leaves removed, but you can use as much of the stork as possible to reduce waste. Actual chopped cauliflower used in this recipe was 300g/10+1/2oz.

150g/5oz Mature Cheddar Cheese. Or another hard full flavoursome cheese of your choice.

Approx. 2.5 pints of hot stock. Chicken works well if not a vegetarian dish, alternatively vegetable stock. Even water alone could be used with a pinch or 2 of salt. (If using stock cubes rather than home-made – 1 x cube is enough for the 2.5 pints of water).

Blackpepper (I add about 8 grinds of the mill)

(You could add a chopped onion if you wish to. Originally I did, then one-day didn’t have one, so carried on regardless! I didn’t think it affected the taste)

Instructions:

Chop and wash the cauliflower. Dice the cheese.

Add to pot

Top up with approximately 2.5 pints of hot stock/or slightly salted hot water.

The pot should be 2/3 full

Leave for 4 hours on high or 8 on low

Blend and serve. I use a hand-blender directly in the crock-pot, ensuring it is placed firmly on the bottom to avoid the hot liquid spraying out of the pot.

Eat within 3 days if left in the fridge, or up to 1 month in the freezer.

Told ya it was simple!

*Don’t forget that as tempting as it may be to lift the lid and have a stir or a sniff of the lovely aroma, that every time you do it will increase cooking time by 20 minutes.  Reduce the need to stir by always ensuring that you have stirred well when adding everything initially.

** Please note that I am not a qualified nutritionist or professional cook.  My recipes are what I put together at home and all amounts etc… are approximate. What I write is my own experience of cooking the recipe.  Ovens and ingredients do vary – just go with it,  have fun and apply common sense at all times!  Practise makes perfect!

• Trish July 8, 2012, 10:40 pm

this looks so great! I am looking forward to trying it in about 4 months when it is again soup weather. it is unfortunately about 105 degrees today!

• simplybeingmum July 9, 2012, 9:30 am

It’s about 60 degrees here, so most definitely cold enough for soup! Very jealous!

• Trish July 8, 2012, 10:40 pm

• simplybeingmum July 9, 2012, 9:30 am

• Susan July 8, 2012, 10:54 pm

Yum yum! Thank you 🙂

• Susan July 8, 2012, 10:54 pm

Yum yum! Thank you 🙂

• Jo H. July 8, 2012, 11:15 pm

You are right – what could be simpler? This sounds so good, as do your other soups you have posted about. Thanks for writing about them.

I have an old crockpot from back in the eighties, but I have to test how hot it gets and how fast, in order to decide if it’s safe to use, before going out and buying a new one. Trying to be environmentally responsible here 🙂

I love soup and really think I’d get my money’s worth from a new one in no time, though!

• simplybeingmum July 9, 2012, 9:31 am

Hi Jo.H – I cook all my soups in the slow-cooker. In fact I leave some overnight, then blend first thing. You could make this on the hob. Just make sure you keep the lid on else it reduces too much!

• Jo H. July 8, 2012, 11:15 pm

• simplybeingmum July 9, 2012, 9:31 am

• Sharon July 9, 2012, 4:54 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! In the summer we have salad for dinner one night and for lunch many days. However, in the winter, it’s soup one night for dinner and for lunch (for me) many days. I really need simple soup recipes like this! Also, I would love a copy of your ebook when it’s released. 🙂

• simplybeingmum July 9, 2012, 6:25 pm

Hi Sharon – you will most certainly get a copy (once I’ve finished it!!!) Jo

• Sharon July 9, 2012, 4:54 pm

• simplybeingmum July 9, 2012, 6:25 pm

Hi Sharon – you will most certainly get a copy (once I’ve finished it!!!) Jo

• sarah@everydaylifeonashoestring July 9, 2012, 11:05 pm

I love my slow cooker, but rarely do soup in it, so thanks for the inspiration. It’s certainly soup weather here, after all!

• sarah@everydaylifeonashoestring July 9, 2012, 11:05 pm

• jpkittie July 11, 2012, 1:02 pm

YUM! That looks AMAZING!

• jpkittie July 11, 2012, 1:02 pm

YUM! That looks AMAZING!

• Live and Learn-Toss and Turn July 14, 2012, 1:25 pm

It’s raining today, so it’s the perfect time to try the cauliflower soup- especially since I have the ingredients on hand. I’m looking forward to it.

• simplybeingmum July 14, 2012, 1:27 pm

Please let me know what you think? Rain? What’s that? haha! I’ve never seen so much as I have this year, but believe it or not it’s dry today!

• Live and Learn-Toss and Turn July 14, 2012, 1:25 pm

• simplybeingmum July 14, 2012, 1:27 pm

• MrsGreen @littlegreenblog.com September 25, 2012, 2:28 pm

thanks for your delicious recipe Jo – I’ve shared it in this month’s britmums roundup, so hopefully you’ll get some extra traffic too 🙂

• MrsGreen @littlegreenblog.com September 25, 2012, 2:28 pm