No Waste Tastes Great / The Brie’s Still Hanging Around

It’s Friday Guys, time for No Waste Tastes Great.

Click here to find out more about my Friday routine

Simply Being Mum’s Friday Fridge

Top Shelf – Spreads, butter-cream, cheddar and garlic

Top Middle Shelf – 3 tiny chocolate yoghurts (that the Kid’s like)

Bottom Shelf – 2 onions, some leftover spaghetti bolognese and a virtually empty jar of home-made pickled beetroot (it’s now mostly vinegar).

Door – Milk and OJ

Not bad eh? I’ve kept my eye on the prize this week. The only item to use up is the spaghetti bolognese. The Kid’s will have it tonight with some home-made garlic and herb flat-breads. It’ll be chocolate yoghurt for dessert, I may have to eat the third to stop them arguing over it. The onions and beetroot will be used up over the weekend.

Not all great news, however. The Brie is still hanging around.

This unassuming piece of cheese has been with us since Christmas. It’s beginning to feel like one of the family. I’ve even considered naming it. The wrapper finally got taken off last weekend, as part of the Hubby’s Birthday celebrations, but we didn’t eat all of it. Despite valiant attempts this week to include it with our cheese and cracker supper, that we appear to have developed a habit of having, there’s still some left.

I have a saying. ‘If in doubt make soup’. So that’s what I am going to do. Brie has never struck me as a soup type of cheese, but it seems I am mistaken. A quick Google has uncovered quite a few recipes, of which mushroom and brie looks the most appetising (and frugal). Extra mushrooms are being added to my shopping list this week. I’ll update on Facebook how it goes and if any good I will share the recipe.

I also have these to use up;

After last weeks’ success, I’m going to make another sweet potato curry. Served with rice and flat-bread that’s mine and the Hubby’s dinner sorted. The butternut squash will be turned into soup. One of the recipes in the mini e-book I’m putting together is spicy butternut squash. Today may be a good day to get it all photographed and in the slow-cooker.

How’s your fridge looking this Friday? Are there any unloved pieces of cheese hanging around, or has everything got a purpose and place?

No Waste Tastes Great is bought to you (as always) with thanks to The Frugal Girl for the original inspiration.

FoodWasteFriday

————————————————————————————————-

I now update daily of Facebook, why not head on over and take a look?

I’ve just updated Facebook with the Nutty Sweet Potato slow-cooked curry I made as part of No Waste Tastes Great. At less that a £1 per serving including rice and flat-bread, it’s a super frugal meal, and pretty tasty too.

• Apple February 10, 2012, 10:42 am

The soup sounds tasty, still, crackers and vino would be my choice with the brie. (and kids in bed) 🙂 🙂

• simplybeingmum February 10, 2012, 10:45 am

Hi Laura! We’ve given it a fair shot this week, crackers, red wine and cheese most nights. However we are getting to the stage where when it appears I get an exhausted look from the Hubby. We are most definitely brie’d out 😉

• Apple February 10, 2012, 11:27 am

Give an update how the brie-soup turns out.

A question: have you any ideas for a dip that can include a jar of peppers, garlic and cream cheese? I’ll have a girlie-evening and would like to use my leftovers from the fridge.

• simplybeingmum February 10, 2012, 4:39 pm

Will do!
          From the 3 ingredients you list, they sound like they’d be okay as they are just mixed together… maybe adding some herbs? Don’t tell anyone what’s in it, and see what feedback you get?

• Apple February 11, 2012, 9:59 am

Ended up mixing pepper, cream cheese and the garlic with some nuts, paprika and cummin. Went down well. 🙂

• simplybeingmum February 11, 2012, 6:49 pm

Sounds good – will have to remember that combination! Hope you had a good night!

• Apple February 10, 2012, 10:42 am

• simplybeingmum February 10, 2012, 10:45 am

• Apple February 10, 2012, 11:27 am

Give an update how the brie-soup turns out.

• simplybeingmum February 10, 2012, 4:39 pm

Will do!

• Apple February 11, 2012, 9:59 am

• simplybeingmum February 11, 2012, 6:49 pm

• Lauren February 10, 2012, 10:58 am

Oh no, return of the buttercream! 😉

My fridge is still looking pretty full this week due to illness. All fine now, but it meant three days of meal planning down the drain. Ironically enough, this includes a very large wedge of brie picked up at the market last week. I think most is usable for the weekend and even next week, but we will have to throw away a tub of chilli that was put in the fridge to defrost the night before illness struck so it never got eaten. Maybe some soft fruits as well, will have to check on them.

Oh, and quite a few yoghurts as well, DH suspects he’s lactose intolerant so has eliminated dairy to see if there’s an improvement – just after I stocked up on them on B1G2F. Though I’m tempted to open them all, separate the yoghurt from the fruit (they’re corners) and freeze for baking. Waste not, want not and all that!

I had a (bought) spicy butternut soup yesterday, looking forward to your recipe.

• simplybeingmum February 10, 2012, 11:08 am

Oh Lauren that really made me laugh! Thanks! I can’t make butter-cream any more without thinking of you.
      So sorry to hear you’ve been poorly…hope you are on the mend now? DH’s potential intolerance is also not great news! Oh dear! I tried soya milk a week or so ago, never again for me – it doesn’t suit my taste buds as a straight drink. I used it up in summer fruit smoothies.
      Did I read that right, you bought soup? 😉 you’re excused as you’ve been under the weather! Only joking of course! My recipe is pretty good (IMO). The light still isn’t great here for photographing for the book but the kids are on hols next week so I’m hoping to get some clear days where we can get some good pictures outside.

• Lauren February 10, 2012, 1:23 pm

Haha, yes I bought soup! I would have made some if I’d been more organised this week, although I hate using the kitchen at work (it was for lunch) so need to get a good flask first anyway.

The Lactofree range is pretty good for the newly lactose intolerant as it’s treated dairy milk rather than a substitute. That’s what I’ve bought for DH (the fresh carton, not uht) and no complaints so far. My favourite non-dairy milk is Kara. I’ve never been a straight milk drinker so can’t comment on that but it works really well in smoothies and baking as it gives a very slight coconut taste which is always a good thing in my book.

• simplybeingmum February 10, 2012, 4:40 pm

I probably need to persevere trying out the alternatives. hoping to reduce the milk I consume, as it’s a lot with the smoothies etc…

• Lauren February 10, 2012, 10:58 am

Oh no, return of the buttercream! 😉

• simplybeingmum February 10, 2012, 11:08 am

• Lauren February 10, 2012, 1:23 pm

• simplybeingmum February 10, 2012, 4:40 pm

• sharron February 10, 2012, 11:17 am

Yum cheese, crackers and red wine…

Sharron x

• simplybeingmum February 10, 2012, 2:43 pm

I know, just purchased some stilton for the Hubby (and for a soup I’m making for my recipe book) – he can have that tonight. He’ll breathe a sigh of relief when he sees it’s not brie!

• sharron February 10, 2012, 11:17 am

Yum cheese, crackers and red wine…

Sharron x

• simplybeingmum February 10, 2012, 2:43 pm

• Live and Learn-Toss and Turn February 10, 2012, 2:41 pm

I’ve been watching the pickled beets from week to week because I really like them. So they’re almost gone. Is your mother going to give you some more or are you tired of them like you are the brie?

• simplybeingmum February 10, 2012, 2:46 pm

Tell me about the beetroot! I’m seeing her tomorrow as we are going to a show at the theatre. I’ve had no advance warning there’s some on the way…but she does like the element of surprise when it comes to beetroot. Whether I’m tired of them or not makes little difference! Seriously though I’d never refuse them, if someone offers you home-made produce you accept it gratefully. It’s a really lovely thing to receive.

• Live and Learn-Toss and Turn February 10, 2012, 2:41 pm

• simplybeingmum February 10, 2012, 2:46 pm

• Jen @ Dear Mommy Brain February 10, 2012, 3:28 pm

Wow! Your fridge is so clean! I had to dig around leftovers (that were still good) and a pizza box to find my food waste.

And I don’t think you can go wrong with anything that contains brie. Sadly I never buy it because of the price, but YUM!

• simplybeingmum February 10, 2012, 4:42 pm

Hi Jen! The Brie was a one-off really, as it was Christmas. But I didn’t think it was particularly expensive. It was from Aldi and at 99p in the UK that seemed a good buy. We do eat a lot of it when in France, well it’d be rude not too 🙂
      Glad to hear it was a good FWF for you!

• Jen @ Dear Mommy Brain February 10, 2012, 3:28 pm

• simplybeingmum February 10, 2012, 4:42 pm

Glad to hear it was a good FWF for you!

• Cheeryshirley February 12, 2012, 1:17 am

Hi Jo,
    Left a comment at The Frugal Girl and realized that I hadn’t been over here in a while…and my dirty fridge and BAD food waste showed it! UGH! When I was actually removing food and scrubbing the fridge (as I learned from you), there was such a difference and I felt sooo proud! Anyway, I’m back! 🙂

This post was very funny…I could just see your husband sighing…again…the brie! Hahaha! Well done! Cheeryshirley

• simplybeingmum February 12, 2012, 8:32 am

Pleased to hear you’ve taken action (your fridge will love you for it!) – Glad you’re back!

• Cheeryshirley February 12, 2012, 1:17 am