Simple Slow Cooked Christmas Chutney Recipe

If you read my blog regularly you will know I like to give (when I can) homemade gifts. For me, a preserve encapsulates traditional Christmas fayre.

Even The Duchess of Cambridge dusted off her pans and made strawberry jam to give to The Royal Family last Christmas.

Not that you have to give it all away of course. There’s a jar with my name on it maturing at the moment.

Simple Slow Cooked Christmas Chutney – Makes 4 Jars

((Having never made chutney before last Christmas, I adapted (because I just can’t help playing with things!) a recipe from Sarah Flower’s excellent book Slow Cook Fast Food. I highly recommend Sarah’s book )

You will need (follow either metric or imperial quantities):

1kg/2lb Tomatoes (roughly chopped)

500g/1lb Onion (chopped)

250g/½lb Cooking Apples (peeled, cored and chopped)

2 Garlic Cloves (crushed)

250g/½ Dried Fruit (mixture of cranberries and sultanas – you can add a little extra)

200g/0.44lb Muscavado Sugar

10ml/2 tsp Mustard Powder

10ml/2 tsp Ground Ginger (I use frozen cubes)

10ml/2 tsp Hot Chilli Powder

10ml/2 tsp Paprika

568ml/1 pint Malt Vinegar

Black pepper

Large Slow Cooker and 4 Jars

(I use a large cooker as the quantity of ingredients is slightly too much for a standard cooker and also a larger cooker will reduce the liquid more efficiently. If using a standard cooker I’d suggest halving quantities to create the same end result).

Instructions:

(please note that your house will smell of vinegar for a short while whilst cooking – so you may want to take this in account before starting on a day guests are due to arrive! ;-))

Roughly chop the tomatoes and apple

Chop finely the onion – I use a food processor for this

Place all in the pot and add the garlic, spices, powder, sugar, dried fruit and add black pepper to season

Pour in the bottle of vinegar

Stir thoroughly and place lid on the top – Leave on low for 8 hours

30 minutes before the end of cooking time sterilise the jars

I do this by washing the jars in hot soapy water and rinsing. I then leave to dry on paper towel for a few minutes before popping them in the oven, top down on a baking tray, on a low temp (approx. 100°C/Gas Mark 1) for 15 minutes.

Take care if using this method to sterilise, as the jars will be hot to touch. I leave to cool on the tray for a few minutes before filling.

Once sterilised, fill each jar with chutney. Let any excess liquid drain away from the spoon. Slow cooking will mean the liquid doesn’t reduce entirely

Place a small piece of greaseproof paper on the top before securing lid

Leave to mature for at least a month before consuming

There’s nothing quite like holding a jar of homemade preserve in your hand is there?

*Don’t forget that as tempting as it may be to lift the lid and have a stir or a sniff of the lovely aroma, that every time you do it will increase cooking time by 20 minutes.  Reduce the need to stir by always ensuring that you have stirred well when adding everything initially.

** Please note that I am not a qualified nutritionist or professional cook.  My recipes are what I put together at home and all amounts etc… are approximate. What I write is my own experience of cooking the recipe.  Ovens and ingredients do vary – just go with it,  have fun and apply common sense at all times!  Practice makes perfect!

I now update most days on Facebook – Why not head on over and join the conversation?

• Sharron November 4, 2012, 4:02 pm

Fabulous Jo, you make it look so easy!
    Sharron x

• Sharron November 4, 2012, 4:02 pm

Fabulous Jo, you make it look so easy!
    Sharron x

• Nicole November 5, 2012, 1:27 pm

I can’t wait to try this!

• simplybeingmum November 6, 2012, 10:38 am

I’d love to hear how it goes Nicole?

• Nicole November 12, 2012, 3:42 pm

Well, the chutney got make over the weekend… Now I just have to hide it while it matures from hubby – who keeps asking ‘when will it be ready, again?’ 🙂

• simplybeingmum November 12, 2012, 3:52 pm

How exciting! The jar I’ve put on one side for us (not gifts) will be on the Christmas tea table. So another 6 weeks away! However I had about a 1/4 of a jar over. I’ve eaten it already. Just popped it in the fridge and had it with cheese and crackers without maturing. Still tasted fab!

• Nicole November 5, 2012, 1:27 pm

I can’t wait to try this!

• simplybeingmum November 6, 2012, 10:38 am

I’d love to hear how it goes Nicole?

• Nicole November 12, 2012, 3:42 pm

• simplybeingmum November 12, 2012, 3:52 pm

• Rolien December 7, 2012, 4:14 pm

This looks so good! I’m going to make it tomorrow (already bought everything), but I don’t have a slow cooker. I have a cast-iron pot that I could use on the stove top or in the oven. Any advice is welcome!

• simplybeingmum December 8, 2012, 5:23 pm

So sorry if this reply is a little late… follow recipe exactly, but when you bring to boil reduce heat and allow to simmer slowly for up to an hour – keep an eye on it. If the lid is on it will reduce slower than if you remove lid. Check consistency, and once it looks as though the majority of the liquid has been absorbed it’s ready! Good luck and please let me know how you go.

• Rolien December 13, 2012, 2:52 pm

Thanks! I did like you said and it turned out great. I had some left over after filling the jars so I just had to eat it…delicious!

• Rolien December 7, 2012, 4:14 pm

• simplybeingmum December 8, 2012, 5:23 pm

• Rolien December 13, 2012, 2:52 pm

• Elles October 23, 2013, 5:11 pm

Hi – just discovered this recipe – looks amazing and going to try and make next week as gifts – to assist me in a thrify yet thoughtful Christmas

• simplybeingmum October 23, 2013, 5:20 pm

I made mine two weeks back. It’s maturing nicely. It does make a great gift. Even the Duchess of Cambridge gifts preserves at Christmas! 😉

• Elles October 23, 2013, 5:11 pm

• simplybeingmum October 23, 2013, 5:20 pm

• Leah October 8, 2014, 4:28 pm

Do I need to boil the jars in a water bath to seal when it is finished before storing?

• Leah October 8, 2014, 4:28 pm

• Kelly November 18, 2014, 2:47 pm

Would like to know about sealing too

• Kelly November 18, 2014, 2:47 pm

Would like to know about sealing too

• Lucy December 19, 2014, 5:24 pm

Loving this recipe I know it’s late but will put a leAve to mature on my gifts, does it need to mature? Sorry new to this? Could you help with sealing also thNks x

• Lucy December 19, 2014, 5:24 pm

• Gail Paul September 18, 2016, 7:51 pm

I’m definitely trying this for Christmas gifts!!……but will halve the ingredients as I only have a standard slow cooker!! So glad I came across your recipe!! ?