It’s Friday Guys – It’s time for No Waste Tastes Great
Simply Being Mum’s Friday Fridge
Top Shelf – Spreads, small block of Cheddar and Garlic
Top Middle Shelf – 2 x Large Potatoes (not kept in fridge placed for photo)
Bottom Middle - Head of Broccoli, 1 + 1/2 Onions, 12 Tomatoes, Dan’s Lunch of leftover cottage pie and veggies (lid removed for photo only)
Bottom Shelf – Leftover Cauliflower Cheese Soup in Brenda’s pot (Veggie slow cooker) and just over 3lb (1500g) of Carrots
Drawer at very bottom – Balti Paste, Tomato Puree, Maple Syrup and Jerk Marinade
Door – Milk and 5 Eggs
Why so much fresh produce sitting there at the end of the week? I hear you ask…
It’s been one of those weeks. The carrots and tomatoes had been purchased to slow-cook soup and freeze for lunches. Then out the blue my priorities and commitments changed, and the soup went on the back-burner. The broccoli just didn’t get used up, as I had bought quite a lot.
So what’s the No Waste Tastes Great plan today?
I’ve freed up some time today – I’m going to be a busy girl in the kitchen! Well my slow-cookers are!
1. The tomatoes are going to be slow-cooked to make Tomato, Lentil and Chilli Soup.
2. The carrots are also meeting the same fate – but they are going to have to go in Big Ben my biggest cooker as there is so much to cook – This will make my favourite soup!
3. The onions will get used in the above two soups as will some of the garlic (in blue tub).
4. Cauliflower soup for me at lunch, and leftovers for Dan – all ready to go!
5. The 2 potatoes will be kept until tomorrow to make chips – we have guests and a HUGE mediterranean vegetable lasagne with chips is being made for the adults, and some spag bol for the kiddos.
6. 3 eggs will be used for a Kiddy treat tea of pancakes tonight. The other 2 eggs I am using to make cupcakes. Today is Children In Need – and as a surprise I’m going to make the Kids some Pudsey Cakes! They’ve gone to school in Pudsey ears and spots today and made a donation. The money collected by my piggy over the year was donated!
7. That just leaves the broccoli! I am planning on making some more soup and trying out a new recipe. Unsure which way to go yet with this – need to get my thinking cap on… any suggestions?
Friday Night is Date Night at Chez Wright – but tonight we’ll all be sitting down to watch Children In Need. I’m planning on slow cooking a Balti, as I have got to do my grocery shop today – I may as well pick up some free range chicken and DIY… Fortunately I have 3 slow-cookers, so 2 will be used for soup, the third for the Balti. The broccoli soup can wait until tomorrow to go in, I need to have a think about what ingredients to use anyway.
How’s your Fridge looking this Friday? Did anyone take part in National Clean Your Refrigerator Day over the pond?
Time to start chopping! Oh and I couldn’t sign out today without linking to the the man of the moment – Over to you Mr Gary Barlow
(As always a massive thank you to Kristen, The Frugal Girl and her Food Waste Friday for ongoing inspiration – link will go up when post is live for this week)
p.s – since writing this post there’s been a change of plan! Seriously it’s been one of those weeks! Takeaway for us tonight as I’m not doing a grocery shop after all this PM. I’ve decided in light of this to start my grocery shop experiment this week and I’ll be posting more on Monday…