Let it Snow!
I woke up this morning to 2 very awake children jumping all over my bed and a light dusting of snow outside. The perfect wake up call on both counts.
I love the snow, and I love my kids more than words can say.
Those following this blog will know I grocery shop online, and there was a delivery due this morning. Another fantastic reason for online grocery shopping – you can take delivery in your ‘Little Miss Naughty’ dressing gown and amuse the delivery driver.
I have a confession – I forgot about Buy Nothing Day UK falling on a Saturday this year as it was the day after Thanksgiving last year, a Friday …I’d ordered my food a few days ago and hadn’t thought – so my credit card* will have been charged today – oh well better luck next year!
(*It’s a cash-back credit card so I earn commission every time I use it. For me it’s a very effective way of managing my spend each month, and I pay it off each month. It’s also incredibly practical as I shop online and it has built-in insurance on certain purchases)
Simple Meal Plan Week 3
Every few weeks I reduce my usual spend of approx. £100 total on food, drinks, treats and household goods. This is normally because over 3 or 4 weeks I tend to accumulate some extras, such as items I have frozen, or excess store cupboard ingredients that haven’t quite been used up.
This is one of those weeks so I spent approx:
- £50 on online foodstuffs
- £15 on wine (3 x half price quality bottles – this is one item I do multi-buy)
- £5 on washing powder etc…
- £5 Delivery Charge
A total of £75 – I will also this week be visiting the local butcher – which I do like to do and if I can, I plan it in with my batch of errands. I will probably spend £5 – So my total this week is £80 – a 20% reduction on usual.
So what are we eating this week in the Wright household?
- Lunch – Ham Sandwiches
- Dinner – Kids are having Mash, Veg and Ham, Hubby and I are out for a Birthday celebration with friends
- Lunch – Bacon Sandwiches
- Dinner – Sausage Casserole
- Dessert – Fruit and Yoghurt
Meat Free Monday – also my Gran’s Funeral
- Lunch – Parsnip, Apple and Celery Soup with Cheese Rolls
- Dinner – Mediterranean Vegetable Lasagne
- Dessert – Rice Pudding
- Lunch – Beans on Toast with Marmite and Cheese
- Dinner – Pan Fried Salmon with Lime and Honey and Vegetables
- Dessert – Fruit and Yoghurt
- Lunch – Jacket Potatoes with Tuna and Sweetcorn
- Dinner – Beef Hotpot
- Dessert – Apple Crumble with Vanilla Ice-Cream
- Lunch – Light Lunch out as Playday! 🙂
- Dinner – Toad in the Hole with Mustard Mash and Vegetables
- Dessert – Bread and Butter Pudding with Ice-Cream
Friday is the day I take part in Food Waste Friday over at The Frugal Girl – so if the fridge is bare the Hubby and I get a takeaway. Otherwise I get creative and rustle up a ‘No Waste Tastes Great’ meal. Don’t fret about the Kids, I always have something I can prepare for them such as omlettes or pasta.
Don’t we eat a lot of cheese and ice-Cream! I hadn’t realised! Oh well!
(n.b – Missing Recipes will be posted this week)
How’s your week looking? Are you all prepared with a ‘just in time‘ stocked fridge?
Have a great weekend everyone! I’m off to practise my ‘simplified laundry routine’ which is most certainly a work in progress! How can one be so organised in the kitchen and so disorganised with the laundry?